BLS Instructor Training Prerequisites / Course Details
Thank you for your interest in American Heart Association BLS Instructor Training with CPR Seattle. To enroll in a class, or view our current schedule click here. The following information outlines course prerequisites, required skill proficiencies, required course materials, how to prepare for the class, and what you need to do to be awarded Instructor status. To find out more about the time and cost involved with becoming an AHA instructor / AHA Training Site, click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via phone (206-504-3280) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Current 2015 guidelines American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers certification card. Under "Holders Signature" your card must read "2015 American Heart Association". 2010 guidelines cards will not be accepted.
- Current 2015 guidelines American Heart Association Heartsaver Adult, Child, Infant CPR & First Aid provider certification card.
- Complete the AHA BLS Instructor Essentials online training.
- Alignment with an AHA Training Center: Instructors are required to join the AHA Instructor Network (use this link) and request alignment with an AHA Training Center. Instructors will have their alignment approved after completing their Instructor Course requirements. CPR Seattle welcomes those who attend our Instructor Course to align with us. Instructors not aligning with CPR Seattle will complete their course monitoring and have their Instructor certification card issued by the Training Center they will be aligned with. Please speak with any CPR Seattle staff for details.
- Exemplary BLS Provider skills and Heartsaver CPR and First Aid skills (see list of skills below).
- Passing scores (84%) on the BLS Provider exam and the Heartsaver CPR and First Aid provider exam.
- Passing scoree (84%) on the BLS Instructor exam
A CPR Seattle Training Center Faculty must monitor instructor candidates teaching an actual BLS class before receiving an instructor card. Candidates must enroll in a BLS Course Monitoring Class within 6 months of their instructor course. If the candidate does not complete the course monitoring session within 6 months of completing the instructor training, the instructor course must be taken again. Click here to see upcoming course monitoring dates and to enroll in a session.
Required Instructor Course / Teaching Materials (Note: these materials must be obtained before the start of your class. The BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Manual is required to complete the BLS Instructor Essentials online training*)
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Instructor Manual, $40
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Student Manual, $16
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Course DVD, $75
- AHA Stopwatch, $10
Required Skill Proficiencies (must be correctly demonstrated at the start of the Instructor course)
- 1 and 2-rescuer Adult BLS
- 1 and 2-rescuer Infant BLS
- Lay rescuer Adult CPR/AED (Heartsaver CPR)
- Lay rescuer Infant CPR (Heartsaver CPR)
- Removing Gloves (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Finding the Problem (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Using an Epinephrine Pen (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Stopping Bleeding and Bandaging (Heartsaver First Aid)
If instructors wish to conduct Heartsaver CPR & First Aid programs the following materials are required: Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Instructor Manual, Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED DVD set, Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Student Manual (the Heartsaver Student Manual is highly recommended to prepare for the BLS Instructor Training).
How to Prepare for the AHA BLS Instructor Course
- Practice, practice, practice your skills! The BLS Instructor Manual contains a skill check-off sheet (pages 23-25) that you will use to evaluate your own students. Skills are explained step by step. Study the skills check list, practice the skills yourself, you can even practice watching a friend performing the skill and check off the steps they have performed correctly as they do the skill. An additional way to practice is by re-watching the AHA BLS and Heartsaver course videos. You can also audit a BLS or Heartsaver course by contacting CPR Seattle. Students who cannot correctly perform these skills at the beginning of the instructor course will not be permitted to continue the course and will be asked to attend the next session.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS Provider Instructor Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS Provider Student Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Manual.
- Read through the entire Program Administration Manual (available on the AHA Instructor Network)
- Complete the online BLS Instructor Essentials Course and email your completion certificate to CPR Seattle. The BLS Instructor manual will be required in order to complete the online training.
Questions? Feel free to call us at 206-504-3280, or send us an email at email@example.com.