BLS Instructor Training Prerequisites / Course Details
Thank you for your interest in American Heart Association BLS Instructor Training with CPR Seattle. To enroll in a class, or view our current schedule click here. The following information outlines course prerequisites, required skill proficiencies, required course materials, how to prepare for the class, and what you need to do to be awarded Instructor status. To find out more about the time and cost involved with becoming an AHA instructor / AHA Training Site, click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via phone (206-504-3280) or email (email@example.com).
- Current American Heart Association BLS Provider certification card. Under "Holder's Signature" your card must read "2015 American Heart Association". Certification cards from non-AHA programs will not be accepted (see this link for a guide to AHA certification cards).
- Current American Heart Association Heartsaver Adult, Child, Infant CPR & First Aid provider certification card (2015 guidelines)
- Complete the AHA BLS Instructor Essentials Online training.
- Alignment with an AHA Training Center: Instructors are required to join the AHA Instructor Network (use this link) and request alignment with an AHA Training Center. Instructors will have their alignment approved after completing their Instructor Course requirements. CPR Seattle welcomes those who attend our Instructor Course to align with us. Instructors not aligning with CPR Seattle will need to complete their course monitoring and have their Instructor certification card issued by the Training Center they will be aligned with. Please speak with any CPR Seattle staff for details.
- Exemplary BLS Provider skills and Heartsaver CPR and First Aid skills (see list of skills below).
- Passing scores (84%) on the BLS Provider exam and the Heartsaver CPR and First Aid provider exam.
- Passing score (84%) on the BLS Instructor exam.
Required Instructor Course / Teaching Materials (Note: these materials must be obtained before the start of your class. The BLS Provider Instructor Manual is required to be on hand in order to complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online training*)
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Instructor Manual, $40
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Student Manual, $16
- AHA 2015 BLS Provider Course DVD, $80
- AHA Stopwatch, $10 (any timing device may be substituted for the stopwatch)
If instructors wish to conduct Heartsaver CPR & First Aid programs, the following materials are required:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Instructor Manual, $55
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED DVD set, $165
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Student Manual, $16 (the Heartsaver Student Manual is highly recommended to help prepare for the BLS Instructor Training).
Required Skill Proficiencies (must be correctly demonstrated at the start of the classroom session of the BLS Instructor course)
- 1 and 2-rescuer Adult BLS
- 1 and 2-rescuer Infant BLS
- Lay rescuer Adult CPR/AED (Heartsaver CPR)
- Lay rescuer Infant CPR (Heartsaver CPR)
- Removing Gloves (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Finding the Problem (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Using an Epinephrine Pen (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Stopping Bleeding and Bandaging (Heartsaver First Aid)
The final part of BLS Instructor training consists of the candidate teaching a portion of a BLS class (conducted at CPR Seattle) under the supervision of a CPR Seattle Training Center faculty member. After successfully completing this portion, the candidate will be issued an BLS Instructor certification card. Candidates must enroll in a scheduled BLS Course Monitoring Class within 6 months of their instructor course. If the candidate does not complete the course monitoring session within 6 months of completing the instructor training, the instructor course must be taken again. Click here to see upcoming course monitoring dates and to enroll in a session. NOTE: There will be only one or two monitoring session dates available for each Instructor class. Please make sure you can attend one of the scheduled sessions before you enroll in the Instructor course.
How to Prepare for the AHA BLS Instructor Course
- Practice, practice, practice your skills! The BLS Instructor Manual contains a skill check-off sheet (pages 23-25) that you will use to evaluate your own students. Skills are explained step by step. Study the skills check list, practice the skills yourself, you can even practice watching a friend performing the skill and check off the steps they have performed correctly as they do the skill. An additional way to practice is by re-watching the AHA BLS and Heartsaver course videos. You can also audit a BLS or Heartsaver course by contacting CPR Seattle. Students who cannot correctly perform these skills at the beginning of the instructor course will not be permitted to continue the course and will be asked to attend the next session.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS Provider Instructor Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS Provider Student Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Manual.
- Read through the entire Program Administration Manual (available on the AHA Instructor Network)
- Complete the online BLS Instructor Essentials Course and email your completion certificate to CPR Seattle. The BLS Instructor manual will be required in order to complete the online training.
Questions? Feel free to call us at 206-504-3280, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.